Collections: Access and Distribution
Print rentals and digital access
CVM provides access to selected prints from our preservation projects and collections through rentals to qualified institutions,* or digital copies for some films. We can only rent to institutions, not to individuals. Changing soundtracks, or adding new music to silent films, is not permitted. Center for Visual Music is the rightsholder for the films of Oskar Fischinger. Any Fischinger rentals, licenses or other requests regarding the films should be directed to us at cvmaccess (at) gmail.com
Some of these titles include:
- Selected Oskar
Fischinger 35mm prints including Spirals, Radio Dynamics, Allegretto, Study no. 5 (new preservation print!), Study no 6, Kreise, Spirals (new preservation print), Kreise, Komposiition in Blau, Ornament Sound and others. Some are available as 16mm prints. Many are available digitally (though not on DCP). Inquire.
- New HD Fischinger transfers include: Muratti greift ein, Composition in Blue, Swiss Trip, Squares, Pierrette I, Wax Experiments, Studie nr 2, Studie nr 3, An American March, various 1920s and 30s experiments and tests.
- Mary Ellen Bute,Mood Contrasts, Tarantella, Escape, and selected other 16mm prints from the Cecile Starr Collection at CVM. Full Retrospective available in 16mm. Available digitally: Abstronic, Polka Graph, Rhapsodie, Rhythm in Light.
- Jordan Belson, Allures, Chakra, Mandala (new preserved prints!), Momentum, Meditation and a few other selected titles, under specific circumstances, please inquire. 16mm. Available digitally: Allures, Samadhi, Bop Scotch, Mandala, Chakra, Meditation.
- Selected 16mm films by Hans Richter, Viking Eggeling and Walter Ruttmann, from the Cecile Starr Collection at CVM. Including Richter's Ghosts Before Breakfast, others. Ruttmann's Opus I, II, III and Eggeling's Symphonie Diagonale.
- Charles Dockum films (1952 Mobilcolor Performance at the Guggenheim; 1966
Mobilcolor Documentary and Performance films; 1969 and 1970 extended
Mobilcolor Performance films).
- Jud Yalkut, Turn, Turn, Turn (16mm)
- John Stehura's
Cibernetik 5.3 (digital only)
- Richard Baily, Night Waves (digital)
- Selected 35mm films by Baerbel Neubauer
- Films by Jules
Engel (including Three Arctic Flowers, Celebration, Mobiles, Times Square, Coaraze, Landscape). Coaraze is a new 35mm preservation print (restored thanks to Calarts and individual donors). Others on 16mm. Some may be rented as digital versions, including Accident, Play-Pen, Mobiles, Landscape.
- William Moritz, Slow Morning Rain (video)
- Selected other visual music films by artists including Barry Spinello, Baerbel Neubauer, inquire
- New HD Transfers: Yantra Study by Elwood Decker; Accident by Jules Engel
FOR PREVIEWS of some films, please visit our VOD channel on Vimeo
details including date(s) and number of screenings requested; size of
screening room (seats). For film prints: if you are not a FIAF archive, please provide information on your projection situation and projectionist. Please note, we do not rent to individuals,
only to qualified organizations.*
We do not ship via UPS or postal mail, via Fed Ex or DHL only.
for Visual Music
Via email: cvmaccess (at) gmail.com
Via phone: 213-683-1514
*Qualified institutions for Retrospective programs or archival prints include
FIAF archives and venues capable of archival projection, and institutions
which have previously rented programs from us without damage to any
films or shipping problems/delays.
For individual print rentals, please describe your projection situation, and if the screening is part of a larger event or a co-presentation. If you have not rented from us before, please provide references of 3 other organizations you've rented film prints from recently.
Changing soundtracks, or new music performed to the films, is not permitted. Please email for further information, cvmaccess (at) gmail.com .